Sunday 11 September 2011

My sister's Wedding


After completing run number 91 on Friday morning, we set off for Liphook, the village where I grew up, in anticipation of my sister's wedding which was taking place in Guildford on Saturday.  Mum and Dad were very complimentary about the achievement so far, also how my body is looking in good nick, thanks to the increase in exercise. 


I knew Saturday was going to be busy - Not only did Mum and Dad have Myself, Carolyn and Jake staying over, but also Lucy on the eve of her wedding.  I set off for the morning run around 6:30am and did a 7 mile loop over through Hammer, Lynchmere, Highfield Close, back into Liphook via the Station, Old Portsmouth Road, Longmoor Road and The Avenue and onto Headley Road.  The role of "master of ceremonies" entailed a few jobs, some I knew about, others were a bit spontaneous, but I did my duty and all went to plan.

I chose a reading by Simon Armitage, entitled, "Let me put it this way", which I think went down well:

"Let me put it this way:
if you came to lay
your sleeping head
against my arm or sleeve,
and if my arm went dead,
or if I had to take my leave
at midnight, I should rather
cleave it from the joint or seam
than make a scene
or bring you round.
There,
how does that sound?"

I woke up in the hotel this morning with a slightly fuzzy head, however hopped out of bed and got my gear on for a run wherever the roads would take me.  A place called "Bowlhead Green" was my destination from the venue in Churt.  I kept running until the GPS read "3.3 miles" then turned on my heels and ran back the way I came. 


Bowlhead Green

I twice passed a lovely looking pub (well, nearly as nice as The Diggle Hotel) in a village called Thursley - I may call in the next time we are down this way.


Three Horseshoes, Thursley

I met family and friends last night who I haven't met in years, all of who were very encouraging about the challenge  - thanks to everyone I spoke to who either shook my hand or kissed me on the cheek (and pushed money into my hand for the JDRF) It was a day and night to remember.

I'm dedicating today's run to Lucy and Mike xxx

Friday's run - 6.3 miles
Saturday's run - 7.0 miles
Today's run - 6.7 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment