Sunday 4 September 2011

Tameside 10K


Run 86 was an organised race - and a very well executed one by race organisers Kiwi Classic Events (kiwiclassicevents@gmail.com).  1000 places were on offer, although I don't think all these were filled, with a large proportion of entrants signing up on the day.  Registration took place at the Red House public house, and, after we were off, we made our way up towards Hartshead Pike (pictured above), taking in a good 3K of climbing until the fast decent (except the last km) for the remainder of the race.

Just after the drinks station at the halfway point, I was over taken by another runner, Dave who asked "Which run are you on now?" - he had been following the blog since I had posted the link on the running forum "Take to the streets".  He offered some words of encouragement, which were very much appreciated, so many thanks Dave.

Descending past Knowle Farm I looked down at my watch and noticed I was recording a 5m10sec pace, which spurred me on.  Since Dave overtook me at the halfway mark, I had managed to keep him in my sights as he was setting a great pace, however I had breathing space as there was a gap between me and whoever was trailing me. 

I'm not sure the exact time, somewhere between 49m and 50m, however I'm pleased with the run, the fact that I kept at a good, low pace, which is encouraging with two weeks to go until the last run of the challenge and a half marathon at that.  The goody bag at the end had a great hi-viz Ronhill technical t-shirt, which I shall wear when the dark nights start drawing in.


Post race with 100 runs t-shirt by A3 Sports


So thanks to Kiwi Classic Events for hosting the race, Dave for enthusing about my challenge, and Gaz for driving there and back and for setting a great pace, despite not getting much sleep last night - It was a great race.  Onwards now for another 13 10K's until the Bupa Great North Run.  Proud to dedicate the run to Jane and Tim.

1 comment:

  1. You're welcome, Tom! I really enjoyed the race, but am glad I can have a rest day tomorrow! Only another 150 km to go!

    ReplyDelete