Saturday 23 July 2011

Today's run is dedicated to Loraine Sheils


Jake and I are in Liphook for a few days, staying with my Mum and Dad whilst Carolyn is "away with the girls".  A long journey yesterday, hampered by all cliches regarding the M25 becoming reality.  The area seems to alter every time we visit.  The biggest of these is the new A3 Tunnel at Hindhead, the famous bottle-neck that caused countless delays for commuters and holiday makers travelling between London and Portsmouth over the years.  This will come to an end next week when the tunnel opens, however I can't help feeling annoyed (along with my fellow drivers yesterday evening) that the tunnel has been ready for over 3 weeks, and on the busiest Friday of the year it remained closed.  It appears this is due to waiting for the current Minister for Transport to find a window in his diary to commence the pomp to snip the tape.

I'd like to thank my Mum and Dad for the generous donation they made last night on my justgiving site - this really gives me a boost and helps with the confidence they have in me to reach the 100 - thanks again!

Jake opted to sleep with me last night, and getting up early for the run today I thought I had managed to get away without waking him up.  Not so.  I heard a small voice from behind the door as I tip-toed down the stairs.  "Dad - my legs are aching...".   A quick check of his blood sugar reading confirmed this and he was soon playing on his DS whilst taking a glug of Lucozade and a couple of biscuits.  Job done.



I did the route I worked out yesterday, taking in old familiar sights of the A3, Hammer Vale - passing the Prince of Wales pub, where I used to drink way too much of the lovely Butser Ale, and the strong HSB.  I made my way back to Lynchmere, over past Highfield School and back around the village and my old schools.  A trip down memory lane if ever there was one.



Elizabeth Sheils has asked that I dedicate today's run to her Mum, Loraine which I am happy to do - in fact today's run will be dedicated to both of them.



Here is Elizabeth's email to me regarding the dedication:

 "I have had type 1 since the age of 5 (and I am 21 now!) The diabetes technologies and knowledge back in 1995 were not as they are today. I went onto a mixed insulin syringe regime and only go introduced to carbohydrate counting and multiple daily injections when I reached secondary school. I have just recently gone on pump the beginning of this year!

Being diagnosed so young I really had no idea what was going on, which meant my mum had to fully look after me. During the early months of my type 1 I had panic attacks in the night which we were told was my bodies way of dealing with the stress and confusion. Being 5 years old I didn’t really understand why people were trying to put needles into me and say I had to eat at certain times without sweets.  I do remember my mum, Loraine Sheils, staying with me in hospital overnight which made me feel a lot less anxious. Being the first type 1 in my primary school caused a lot of concern for the teachers. It meant my mum had to be on call just in case my blood sugar was too high or too low making it impossible to have paid employment. She was and still is always there for me.

My mum has done a wonderful job in supporting me these past  16 years. I haven’t had much support from friends during my school years and my family were reluctant to get too involved. Therefore she has been my support system without having anyone herself to lean on. She has given me the guidance and confidence to manage my diabetes and has always taught me not to let it get in the way of my life. I have learnt the skills to be able to manage my type 1 to the best of my ability whilst working towards all my other goals in life.

I am passionate about trying to improve the lives of those with type 1 and hope to raise as much awareness as I can. I have been working with JDRF for the past three years as a T1 Youth Ambassador and I am currently working with a clinical psychologist in a diabetes centre as part of my psychology degree. I know I never would have achieved all the things I have without the ongoing support of my mum. "

Read Elizabeth's JDRF 1 Campaign Scrapbook entry:

http://www.jdrf1campaign.org.uk/scrapbookgallery.asp?section=79&sectionTitle=Type+1+scrapbook+gallery+%2D+how+type+1+affects+other+people%27s+lives&page=4&profile=286

Thanks Elizabeth - today's run is for you and Loraine

No comments:

Post a Comment